Monday, July 20, 2009

Eleven- Chapter One [QUINN]

I've decided to start posting my "Eleven" chapters in here. Here's the first one.
(It's in First Person point of view, but the character switches per chapter. So the first one is in the point of view of Quinn.)

One
QUINN
The number eleven is nothing special to the average human being. It’s one more than ten and one less than a dozen. There aren’t eleven days in a week. There aren’t eleven months in a year. When you turn eleven years old, it’s nothing special. No baker ever makes eleven cookies. It’s an odd number, a prime number, a pointless number. So why, you ask, did this number change our lives? Why was this number so significant to us? Well, it wasn’t. It wasn’t significant at all until November 11th, 2011.
This day began just like any normal day. I got up, I got dressed, and I went to school. Nothing exciting was coming up and I had nothing planned for the rest of the day or, in fact, for the rest of the week. Nothing significant was going on in my life.
So as I walked throughout the campus of Larson High School, the only thing peculiar that I noticed was the breeze that blew unsteadily through the quad.
Of course, wind was common in Southern California, especially in autumn. Normally, these Santa Ana Winds thrashed across the surface of the earth, spinning the air and making it humid outside. The wind usually caused garbage cans to tumble over. It normally ripped palm fronds off their trunks. It would let dead, dried leaves collect in corners and it would howl throughout the day and keep me awake at night.
But on November 11th, 2011, the wind blew differently. It was gentle. It blew an irregular, slow breeze. It was just enough to stir the palm fronds. The howling of the wind subsided into a gentle whisper, but when I listened closely, it echoed back into a soft scream. Instead of leaving the air warm, humid and muggy, it brought chills down my spine.
I stopped and looked around. I stood in the middle of the quad, my backpack hanging on one shoulder. Students walked passed me. Some chatted with their friends and some simply walked alone, on a mission to get to their next class. However, nobody seemed to notice the eerie breeze around us.
I ignored it. It was probably nothing.
I continued on, dragging my heels on the concrete like always. Heading for my locker, I whistled softly and waved at passing friends.
I noticed my twin sister, Colette, standing against a wall and chatting with her best friends, Lena and Keegan.
Colette was small for her age. She had a round face and sleek scarlet hair. Her nose was tiny as were her hands and feet. Altogether, she was a mouse, small and meek but quick and sneaky. She wore her extremely long, crimson hair tied back with a band. Her square glasses made her giant eyes look a little bit bigger and their thick red frames matched her hair and popped from beneath her pale skin.
“Hey Colette.” I chuckled as I strolled past my sister.
“Quinn.” Colette nodded and smiled mischievously in some form of greeting.
As I slipped past, Colette slugged me in the shoulder.
I rolled my eyes. Sibling rivalry was an ongoing game in our household, but I always knew it was a loving battle. I was amused by Colette’s attempts to win a fight.
“I love you, too.” I said sarcastically, turning my head toward her as I kept walking.
I heard the loud giggles of Colette, Lena and Keegan behind me, but I continued on.
Finally reaching my locker, I opened it and unzipped my backpack, trading in the necessary books from my locker.
As I reached for my Spanish textbook, I spied something peculiar in my locker.
This is when the number eleven first became significant in my life.
This is where it all began…
It was a white envelope that had been folded and wrinkled to fit through the slots in my locker door.
Raising my eyebrows, I put my backpack down and picked up the envelope. It wasn’t sealed and there was nothing printed on the outside of it. I glanced around suspiciously and then opened it and removed its contents.
I held in my hands a white piece of printer paper, folded in half once. The sheet was perfectly folded, almost like it was a machine’s doing.
I admit, I was hesitant at first. I didn’t know anyone that might have shoved this mysterious note in my locker. I remembered the impish look that Colette had given me just a few moments ago and wondered if she could be up to something.
I could’ve just ignored it. If I had thrown the letter away, none of it would have happened. But I was ignorant and curious and I had to open that letter…
So I unfolded the paper, laughing at the probable joke.

GYMNASIUM
11:11

I stopped laughing instantly. The smile fell from my face. Replacing my laughter was pure curiosity, which rose throughout my body. An icy chill made the hairs on the back of my neck stick straight up as another zephyr blew towards me.
I squinted at the note. Maybe I had been mistaken by the tiny words in the center of the page. But whichever way I looked at them, they still read the same.
Looking at the words again, I decided it was probably just some joke. I shrugged and folded the paper at its original crease and then folded it three more times in a much more sloppy fashion. I shoved it in my pocket and continued putting books into my backpack.
Suddenly, Elliot was standing next to me.
Elliot Cruise had become my friend when he and Colette started dating two years ago. I knew that he’d had a hard past. Apparently, some accident had left him with memory problems. He was always in deep thought and needed to think really hard to remember certain things. But what surprised me the most about him were his eyes. They were an incredibly bright shade of cerulean. I don’t know how anyone’s eyes could be so blue. They sparkled in the sun as he shoved a piece of white printer paper in my face.
“Hey, Quinn. Look what I found in my locker.” Elliot laughed.
I plucked the paper out of his hands and asked, “What is it?”
“Read it!”
Elliot stood waiting while I unfolded the paper. His flowing brown hair blew in the wind and he shivered. He stuck his hands in his pockets and stared in deep thought at the palm trees.
At first glance, I thought I had unfolded the wrong paper. The note that Elliot had just given me was completely identical to the one that I had just stuffed in my pocket, the one that had been sitting in my locker just moments previously.
I took my paper out of my pocket and unfolded it. I compared the two notes and laughed at the absurdity.
They both read: Gymnasium; 11:11.
I stared at the letters in confusion, “What the…”
“It’s weird, right?” Elliot said.
“Elliot… I got one just like this!” I laughed.
“Seriously?” He asked.
“Yeah. Where did you find this?” I asked him.
Elliot looked up at the sky and took a deep breath. He became momentarily distracted by the wind stirring the palms. But then he shook his head and looked at the ground.
“Uh, it’s hard for me to remember…” He laughed, embarrassed.
“Was it in your locker?” I asked.
“Um, oh, yeah! My locker. Yeah, it was definitely in my locker.” Elliot shook his pointer finger at me, completely remembering now. “I found it just a couple minutes ago.”
“It’s probably just some stupid thing that the ASB club shoved in everybody’s locker.” I said.
Elliot and I turned to watch a nearby student open his locker. We watched him shuffle books into his backpack. Apparently he hadn’t received a letter…
I laughed in pure astonishment. This must have been Colette’s doing.
“Colette must be up to something.” I said.
“Colette…” Elliot sighed, smiling and looking up at the trees again.
I laughed and waved a hand in front of his face, “Elliot, focus!”
“Sorry…” He laughed, snapping back into reality. “So, are you gonna go?”
“Go…?”
“To the gym at eleven-eleven.” He said with obviously fake enthusiasm.
“I guess.” I raised my eyebrows and looked back at my letter, “I’ll find any excuse to ditch class.”
“I guess I’ll go too then!” Elliot exclaimed.
I handed his paper back to him and placed one last binder in my backpack before zipping it up and slamming my locker door closed.
“What do you think will be there?” I asked Elliot.
The trees had already distracted him once more. His blue eyes were blinding in the sun. “Where?” He asked.
“The gym.” I said, reminding him.
“What…? Oh yeah! The note…” He said, remembering, “I don’t know. Good question.”
“Maybe it’s like a school sponsored thing…” I suggested.
“Or some kids playing some kind of senior prank.”
“Senior pranks normally happen at the end of the year, that way they can’t get in trouble, cause they’ve already graduated.”
“True…” He sighed.
“Whatever. I guess we’ll find out at eleven-eleven.” I laughed.
“I might forget to come.” Elliot said.
“Just keep repeating it.” I suggested, “That seems to help, right?”
“Yeah…gym at eleven-eleven, gym at eleven-eleven, gym at eleven-eleven…” He repeated quietly to himself.
“You’ll remember.” I assured him.
“Well, if I don’t, you’ll know why I’m not there.” Elliot said.
“Okay.” I then noticed kids walking briefly towards their next class and realized we were probably going to be late. “See you later.” I said to Elliot.
He walked towards his next class waving.
“Eleven-eleven!” I called after him.
“I’ll remember…” He called back.
As I swung my backpack back over my shoulder, another icy breeze circled through the campus and stung my cheeks. I sighed and let my feet automatically carry me to my next class.
Several questions invaded my mind about the notes in our lockers. Who had put them there? What was the point of all this? What was waiting for us in the gym? Had anyone else received a letter?
I rolled my eyes at myself. These were probably pointless questions. This was probably just one of Colette’s stupid pranks.
As I walked toward my Spanish class, I noticed that fewer students were walking around campus, signifying that I was almost late for class. I quickened my pace, not wanting to receive a tardy.
But then, I saw her.
Her elegant platinum blonde hair was what I first noticed. It flowed so gently in the breeze that my knees went weak. She wore a plain orange t-shirt. I was amazed at how simply she dressed, just in jeans and a plain shirt, and yet still she looked stunning. I loved that she hardly wore any makeup, like she wasn’t trying to impress anyone.
She was standing just a few feet away from me at her locker. Her uniquely gentle hands moved gracefully as she shuffled books into her backpack.
Of course her name flooded my mind instantly. Laurel Boothe. I’d known her since the first day of high school, when we’d sat next to each other in math class. I remembered that her beauty had taken me by surprise, and I felt obligated to talk to her.
Now that I looked back on that day, I was thankful that I had spoken to her. If I hadn’t she might not be my friend today.
I wanted to call out her name and have a conversation with her. I hesitated, knowing that class was about to start and we would be late. Plus, I didn’t want to say anything embarrassing around her.
But I took a deep breath, feeling obligated once again to talk to her.
“Laurel!” I called out, walking briskly toward her.
“Hey, Quinn!” She waved at me, letting her long, slender fingers twiddle.
Just that was enough to take my breath away.
I smiled sweetly when I reached her and said, “How are you?”
“I’m alright. How about you?” Her voice was captivating.
“I’m good. I really don’t want to go to Spanish. My teacher is crazy. So let’s stall, shall we?” I sighed in relief that I’d found the perfect thing to say.
Laurel laughed enchantingly, “Okay.”
“What class do you have next?” I asked, trying to find conversation.
“Latin. I love that class, it’s amazing. But we can still stall, I don’t need to be there on time.” Laurel smiled mischievously and winked at me.
I could feel a smile growing on my face as I sighed deeply.
“Who’s your Spanish teacher again?” Laurel asked.
“Oh, it’s Mr. Mullen.” I groaned. “He’s horrible.”
“I know!” Laurel rolled her eyes, “I had him last year. I had him right before math, remember? I always came to math really angry.”
“I remember.”
I was relieved that we had found something to talk about. Not that it was uncommon to have a fun conversation with Laurel, but I was always afraid of awkwardness. And I was especially afraid of awkwardness with Laurel. I wanted to impress her, I suppose.
Laurel turned back to her locker and then her cute smile fell into a confused look.
“What…?” She said softly, pulling something out of her locker.
My jaw dropped as I saw her holding another white envelope, blank and unsealed, probably containing a note similar to Elliot’s and mine. Now I knew that Colette couldn’t have had anything to do with the notes. Colette hardly knew Laurel, and there was no chance that she could have dropped a similar note into Laurel’s locker as well. It must have been someone else.
Laurel opened the envelope and stared in confusion at the letter.
“I got one just like that!” I gasped, half-laughing, “And so did Elliot…”
Suddenly, Laurel flinched at the sound of Elliot’s name. She stared off into space for a moment with a sad look and sighed.
“What’s wrong?” I asked.
“Nothing…” She dismissed it and unfolded her letter.
“Let me guess,” I rolled my eyes, “It says Gymnasium; 11:11, right?”
“Yeah! How’d you know?” Laurel asked, “Did you put this in here?” A wide smile grew on her face.
“No,” I laughed, “No, I promise I didn’t. I told you, I got one just like it.”
“Let me see.” She held out her hand for my letter and looked up at me, blinking.
Her eyelashes were the longest I’d ever seen. I remembered in math last year, I would playfully tease her about her extremely long eyelashes. I remembered how she would show me how when she opened her eyes really wide, they would touch her eyebrows. She didn’t even wear mascara…
I pulled my letter out of my pocket and watched as her graceful hands unfolded it. “They’re exactly the same!” She laughed, “Was there anything written on the envelope?”
“Nope. It was blank, just like yours.” I sighed.
“Weird…” She looked up at the trees, thinking to herself.
“It’s probably just some dumb assembly.” I suggested.
“Probably…” She sighed, “Are you gonna go?”
“Yeah, I think I will.” I nodded, “And hey, I get to ditch Spanish! Bonus!” I held two thumbs up.
Laurel giggled. “I guess I’ll go too, then...if you’re going.”
She stared up at me with a captivating smile. Her lips were perfect, her teeth were blindingly white and perfectly straight, her eyes were a perfect shade of blue…
For a moment we simply stared at each other. A smile grew on my face and when she sighed at this, pure happiness warmed my skin.
The bell then rang, snapping us out of it.
She giggled and closed her locker. She rubbed my shoulder and said, “Bye, Quinn.”
This one little touch made me even weaker than before. I smiled once more.
She waved while walking towards her Latin class.
And even though I knew she couldn’t hear me, I whispered, “Bye Laurie.”

No comments:

Post a Comment